Your home's electrical wiring is probably the last thing on your mind. This is understandable since the bulk of it lives invisibly between your interior wall spaces. Yet, improper or unsafe wiring can lead to house fires that cause irreplaceable and costly damage to your home's structure as well as your possessions.
Home Wiring Safety: Is Your Home Due For an Inspection?
Older homes are at particular risk for fires resulting from outdated or deteriorated electrical wiring. In fact, your insurance carrier may raise your homeowners policy premiums or deny you coverage altogether if your electrical wiring hasn't been updated sometime in the last 25 years.
Here are pertinent facts to know about home wiring safety.
- Most homes built prior to the 1950s have cloth-wrapped wiring. The aging cloth is particularly susceptible to drying out, decaying and corroding. This leaves exposed and uninsulated wires that are more apt to spark and ignite fires.
- Older homes, those built 25 years ago or more, may also need their electrical panels replaced. This is the metal box that houses the circuit breakers and is the ultimate controller of the electricity flow through the house. Outdated fuses and corroded wiring is a hazard.
- If your home's electrical system doesn't meet current building and safety codes, you may be refused insurance coverage or your carrier may charge you higher rates.
A home inspection and proof of sound electrical wiring will help your home qualify for a better insurance rating. Contact CCW Insurance to learn more.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons