Winter is coming, which means temperatures are going to begin dropping and the elements are going to begin getting rougher. This also means you’ll want to begin preparing your home for winter using the following tips:
- Take care of your shrubs – Prune your shrubs before snow begins to fall so that they won’t get as damaged. You should water them until the first frost to prevent them from drying out.
- Drain your sprinkler system – Shut off and drain all your outdoor spigots and drain your sprinklers to prevent them from freezing.
- Clean your gutters – Make sure that your gutters are cleaned out so that water and melting snow will drain. Otherwise, it will build up and eventually freeze, resulting in damage to your gutters and potentially your roof.
- Prepare your chimney – If you plan on using the fireplace, then make sure that your chimney is cleaned and inspected to ensure that it is safe to use.
- Get your boiler tuned up – You’re going to be depending a lot on your boiler this winter, so make sure that it’s running properly and efficiently by getting it tuned up. The last thing you want is for it to break down in the middle of winter.
- Add weatherstripping – Keep cold air outside and warm air inside by adding weatherstripping to doors and windows.
Begin preparing your home for winter now. Please contact us at CCW Insurance today for more information about homeowners insurance.
Image Source: Houzz