Due to the increased use of technology over the last decade, data breaches have become more dangerous. Although the most common data breaches occur due to the loss of USB drives or laptops, many occur through malware or hacking. Data breaches also hurt the reputation of companies and can damage their business. The following are a few tips on how to avoid a data breach:
- Automate patch management – By keeping track of the up-to-date software patches and using automated patch management, you can prevent malware and hacking.
- Encrypt all of your devices – Simply encrypting your portable devices can help reduce the risk of a data breach enormously.
- Use better passwords – Hackers can cycle through all permutations of your potential passwords, which means you need to stop using easy-to-hack passwords that can be guessed by an algorithm.
- Double check emails – Always double check the email address of your email before sending it. Data breaches can occur because of unintended disclosure.
- Train employees – Many data breaches occur because of human error. Make sure that your company’s employees are properly trained to reduce the risk of a data breach. You can teach them how to spot a suspicious email.
These are just a few tips on how to avoid a data breach that you should follow. Consider getting insurance to help protect you in the event of a data breach. For more information about our business insurance options, we invite you to contact us at CCW Insurance today.
Image Source: freedigitalphotos