Now that winter is here, your home is going to be more vulnerable to the elements than any other time of the year. This means that you’ll want to be sure to prepare your home for the potential of winter storms. The following are a few winter storm safety tips to keep in mind:
- Prune trees – Any trees that are located on your property should be trimmed before the winter season. Branches and limbs that are located too close to your home or that are damaged should be removed so that they don’t break off and damage property or injure people.
- Clear your gutters – If you don’t keep your gutters clear, there’s a chance that any blockages will prevent snow and water from draining out. You won’t want water to freeze in your gutters, as this can cause damage to the gutters and to the house itself.
- Put together an emergency kit – Have a kit that includes bottled water, non-perishable foods, first-aid kit, flashlight, portable radio, extra batteries, and blankets on hand.
- Have a family plan – Get the family together and go over your emergency evacuation plan. If you don’t have a plan, put one together!
- Insulate your pipes – Keep your pipes from bursting and causing costly damage by insulating them.
These are five winter storm safety tips that you should keep in mind when preparing for the winter. For information about winter storm insurance coverage, be sure to contact us at CCW Insurance today.
Image Source: morgueFile